Sunday, February 27, 2011

new sprouting seeds

One of the exciting parts of leaving a situation in your life that isn't working is that it leaves lots of time and space for the things in your life to emerge and grow. But you have to be proactive. Which means maybe face some fear in order to take action steps in the direction of your dreams. Took some big ones this week.

There's this wonderful place in San Francisco called The Bazaar Cafe. It reminds of the bohemian cafes I've read about in Greenwich village in the 60's where all the poets, songwriters and artists would go to share their ideas, songs and inspirations. The BC has music and creative performances almost 7 days a week. And there's a little community of artists regulars who are always there, working on their stuff. One big rule they have is that NO COVERS are allowed to be played. It has to be all original music, or poetry, or comedy or whatever, but it has to be original. On Thursdays, they have an open mic for songwriters. Each songwriter gets 2 songs. Last Thursday, I signed up. I had the 8:22pm slot. Although, I have been singing professionally for over 10 years, I have never just sat down on a piano, in any kind of venue and played my songs by myself. Without a band, without someone else actually taking the piano chair, or teaching my songs to a guitar player and having he ( or she) play my song while I just sing. It's amazing how different it is to play and sing your own songs. It is the height of self expression. You can move and breathe with the song exactly as you want to. However, it's also a bigger risk. What if people don't like your song? When you play an old favorite cover song that you know everyone loves, you're almost guaranteed to get a positive response. The song does the work for you. An artist can almost hide behind the song that way. The song will win them over so your talent and skill sometimes doesn't even matter. Playing your own song, however, is a whole different dynamic.

I have wanted to do this forever but, alas, the little fear gremlin has been much too powerful. But this is the era of my taking on that little monster and busting through. The rewards are immense. The positive feedback I'm receiving is overwhelming. I have been offered a gig there. I'm on my way. The seed has been planted and with a just a little nurturing and watering it is already started to sprout. Very exciting. When you move in the direction of your dreams with integrity and honesty, the universe showers you with encouragent.

Another sprouting seed. My duet, DNA Sings . We played Friday night at Tiernan's. Gushing reaction from the crowd. Sold about 10 CD's, had an offer to do another show, it's like we cast a spell on the crowd. And even thought DNA does play covers, we put our own spin on them so there is room for artistic play. It's soooo rewarding to share your music and have it not only touch people but almost transfix them. To play a song, from the heart, and have it palpably elevate people's moods. It's the reason I do it. The music business can be so prickly that it's important to have these experiences to remind one why they wanted to play music in it in the first place.

ordering new DNA business cards...i know, what's a business card? Believe it or not they still come in useful from time to time.

It's Sunday, play day...have a great one. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment